22 November 2010

Daydream

Weather forecast: Stars will shine brightly in the sky as you dream.

During my first few days in Singapore, it felt like I was in a constant state of daydreaming. Not that everything seemed totally unreal nor that I was detached from what's going on around me. In fact everything was real and I was an active participant. It's just that things seemed surreal. 

Like a daydream...

In a medieval kingdom, a lonely prince peers into a magical mirror and falls in love with a beautiful maiden from the future. As the past and the future converge, the two discover a love that transcends time, prevailing over a scheming adviser and numerous obstacles.


Sounds like a classic fairytale? >>


Wait till you witness KAOS, a visual and musical spectacle unlike anything the country has ever seen. It is a combination of internationally acclaimed acts including stage thespians Gian Magdangal, Martha Joy and Joel Trinidad, and the Manila Symphony Orchestra. Spanish master illusionist Enrique Polo will be part of the show together with his real and rare white lion. 

Also performing are: acrobats from China, the Power Duo -- a world renowned act from Belarus, stunt motorcyclists from Spain who will defy gravity in the astounding Cycle of Life, the Human Time Machine performers from South America, and hip hop dance champions Philippine All Stars.


I hope that didn't sound like an advertisement in the middle of a Korean telenovela. I just attended the sneak preview of this show KAOS* and I highly recommend this to kids and kids-at-heart. But when you think about it, it is these types of whimsical and extravagant entertainment that turn every individual into avid fans of daydreaming. 

A daydreamer is a role that I instantly assumed the moment I stepped into our first house in Singapore. Could it be the stone-cold concrete staircases that led to our flat in an HDB block at Bukit Batok? (It reminded me of the eery crawling of Sadako.) Or maybe the antiquated, dusty and incense-laden altars beside the doors of our mind-your-own-business-type of neighbors? Or perhaps the strangely quiet neighborhood where one can easily hear the swooshing sound of dried leaves gathered on the floor? (Now that reminded me of the movie Feng Shui.)

By the moment I laid my heavy luggage that I dragged practically for the whole day from the airport to a mall to a friend's condo to the 1-hour MRT ride amid a "uhm-I-think-we-got-lost" scenario on the bedroom floor I was too lethargic to think of fear. But not too helpless as to disregard the smell of independence. Freedom! (cue the boisterous sinister laugh) The former tenants (my friend's cousins) have already vacated the place ahead of their remaining 1 month's paid rental. And so my friends and I had the house all to ourselves. There's a spacious living room with TV, a quaint kitchen/dining hall that has seen better days, a typical tiled common toilet, and 3 bedrooms. The 2 common rooms were locked so we all stayed in the master's bedroom. 

It was like being in a high school slumber party all over again. Only at that moment, we were more interested in befriending the slumber rather than tossing chips for a party. While we knew that the coming days would be filled with uncertainties, we kept such thoughts to ourselves for the meantime. And so after unpacking what I thought was a month's supply of Lucky Me instant noodles and praying for a Sadako-free night, we dozed off into dreamland.  




*Audiences will be able to catch KAOS up to eight times weekly at the 1,500-seater Newport Performing Arts Theatre, Resorts World Manila. Shows begin this December 2010.


No comments: