09 December 2010

My Path to a Decision

Weather forecast: The sun will cast a shadow of doubt.

Recent issues have caught the attention of and elicited diverse opinions from Filipinos from every corner of the globe. There was the “Pilipinas Kay Ganda” brouhaha that has put the Department of Tourism under the scorching heat of the spotlight. Some said that it sounds like a campaign for a beauty parlor, while many suggested the use of the English language so that foreign guests could easily understand it. I personally think host-comedian Joey De Leon’s proposal “I Phil Good” is witty enough albeit lacking in sophistication.

And then there was the Grand Lotto 6/55 craze that has proven how most of us yearn for that easy-way-out golden (winning) ticket to fame and 741-million-peso fortune. The pleasant burden now lies in the hands of the sole winner who has yet to claim his/her prize.

Another issue revives the more than a decade-long controversy surrounding the Vizconde murder case. In the coming weeks the pounding sound of the gavel could echo justice for one or doom for the other.

And still basking in glory from his 8th world title, Manny Pacquiao is already being asked by some if Aling Dionisia will do another movie he will continue on with his boxing career or just focus on being a Congressman. And while others are urging him to retire, Pacquiao’s camp seems to have only one question in mind: “Who’s next?”   
                                          (Photo grabbed from Yahoo!)

These are just a few examples of how certain decisions, brilliant or otherwise, could turn your life around. What catchphrase should we use to promote tourism? What should the Lotto winner do with that ginormous amount of moolah? To acquit or not to acquit? To fight or not to fight?  >>



Time to decide.

Funny how life brings us to that fork in the road where free will has to take over. I found myself in a similar situation during our third day in Singapore. By that time Marie had already expressed her intention to stay and take a chance at finding a job. Ruthie, however, was apprehensive and was determined to go home after 2 weeks. As for myself, I had to weigh my options.

Should I stay or should I go? I have just resigned from my job before I left, which would technically make me a home-dwelling parasite if I go back. But if I stay, it would be one expensive helluva risky endeavor with no guarantees of finding a job – which would technically turn me into a Singapore-dwelling parasite. Hmm, tough call. I would end up as a parasite either way. Inhale… exhale… inhale… exhale…

My mind just couldn’t decide yet.

We later headed out to see the famous Merlion in the CBD area. The train ride took us less than an hour to reach but I didn’t notice the time as I was busy looking outside the window. One could see countless towering HDB blocks that harmoniously blend in with the neat roads and orderly traffic. Some blocks were painted in accents of interesting color combinations such as purple & lime, or ultramarine & powder blue, or maroon & canary. Indeed, it was like passing by Lego town one after another, only that the palette was inspired by Shu Uemura, I suspect. There were lots of trees, too, along the way but with very few children running and playing around. One could feel the calmness of the streets outside.

Aaahh… It was a sight for sore eyes. (Insert smiley here)

I suddenly remembered the time when I was a fresh grad still applying for a job back in Manila. MRT was the quickest ride to take but getting aboard would take you up to an hour especially during early morning peak hours. Queuing up is the easy part as you just have to wait while literally rubbing elbows with whomever, the accidental “oops-sorry-I-stepped-on-your-newly-shined-shoes” notwithstanding. Lucky if you get an apology, never mind if you don’t. Once you’ve reached the platform, the game is on. At this point you would be grazing like a mad herd of bulls with smoking nostrils. Pat yourself on the back if you managed to get inside the train with your two feet on the ground. Pat your co-passengers on the back if, by sheer force and adrenaline rush, they managed to lift your feet off the ground and virtually carried you inside. Pat their backs harder if they managed to harass you in that intense 10 seconds or so. Couple it with a slap if you please. As for the duration of the ride, forget the scenery of ill-maintained buildings and pollution. You wouldn’t be able to see anything but an up-close and personal view of the dripping sweat from the guy’s neck right in front of you. And as you exit, just make sure to leave with your dignity, your clothes and your wallet intact.

Geez… You may get sore eyes. (Insert smiley with aviators here)

Ding-Dong! City Hall.

Marie, Ruthie and I left the MRT with much excitement and anticipation. To reach the Merlion Park, we chose to walk underground through the City Link Mall going to the Esplanade. We took our precious time as we took turns taking pictures of each other. We reached the Esplanade after about 15 minutes and saw this magnificent durian-like structure. Esplanade is a cultural hub where a lot of plays, exhibitions and presentations take place.

We then walked along the nearby bridge leading to our goal. The narrow bridge was lined with vibrant bougainvilleas on one side and flocked by camera-toting tourists on the other. Halfway through, we paused for a while to take in the sights and to pose for more pictures. Looking over to the right, the busy highway is punctuated by the classic Fullerton Hotel adorned with high Romanesque columns. This hotel is surrounded by a cavalcade of office buildings where the locals clearly spend most of their time in. Over to the left side of the bridge is a stark contrast of calm Marina Bay waters that is bordered by the Esplanade, the then-unfinished Marina Bay Sands, and of course, Merlion comfortably standing by the bay. We walked closer to her. She continued to spew waters like a faucet filling in a pail up to its brim. It’s a good thing that she didn’t have to worry about rising waters.

                                   Merlion from behind, and Marina Bay Sands before it was completed. 

This made me recall a former beauty queen’s “High tide or low tide?” response when asked about how many islands are there in the Philippines. Right then and there I realized how small Singapore is compared to the 7,107 islands that we have. And how Singapore is like a mere dot on the map. But despite the diminutive size, and likely because of that, they are able to achieve progress, keep a low crime rate and maintain a cleaner air.

Lots of tourists continued to gather below the off-white statue: young & old couples, noisy children, women in colorful saris, monks in bright orange/red robes, a horde of yuppies… all contributing to the joyful mood. But I could not escape the thought running through my head, should I stay or should I go? Perhaps I’d have to sleep on it. All that my eyes were seeing might just be a mirage. I felt a sudden fear and excitement. It’s the same feeling that I get whenever I would ask my parents for permission prior to a weekend getaway back in the day. Or whenever a hunky, good-looking guy with tattoos would pass by and wink at me. Okay, scratch that… maybe not necessarily hunky or good-looking or tattooed. The point is, it was a strange feeling of uncertainty. Making a decision is never quick & easy.

Looking at the towering buildings once more, I felt smaller than ever. I imagined a movie camera zooming out as I get lost in this crowd until I get smaller and smaller. But somehow, looking around me, I began to feel the excitement more than the fear. Contrary to what I’d previously hoped to do, I didn’t think it’s necessary to throw 3 coins onto the waters anymore a la Trevi fountain. Not that it is allowed. Something tells me that I would be seeing this creature more often. After all, just like this place where I stand, I am also just a dot on the map.  


  

No comments: