09 February 2011

Sisterhood of the Travelling Suitcase


I would never have thought of the maximum capacity of my big blue suitcase until this moment came. I was once again stuffing it with clothes, accessories, shoes, toiletries, etc. I still clearly remember how light my suitcase was when I first landed at Changi airport. Due to the 15 kg weight limit I was not able to stuff it with as much things as I wanted. Hence, the word “etc.” then was generously represented by “Lucky Me noodles.” But the situation now has changed. I could not imagine how my stuff seemed to have doubled in just less than 2 months. My friend Marie and I would be transferring, again, to another HDB.

We found this room-for-rent thru the online community portal called PinoySg.com where Filipinos converge and share experiences and post accommodation ads, among others. A few days before our intended date of transfer, Marie and I decided to meet up with Ray at Tampines MRT.

“Our flat is just few bus stops away, very near the MRT,” assured Ray, friend of the main tenant, looking all alert despite his hour-long train ride straight from his workplace over in Jurong East, which is actually located in the West.

Ray continued to share with us his own first-time experiences as we queue up and wait for our bus: “It was a rough start for me, I had to borrow money from relatives then. It took me quite a while to find a job. You’d be lucky if you manage to get hired before your visa expires. Most people I know took 2 months on average before they were able to get a job.”

In a way those words offered me half-comfort and half-worry. I realize that I’m still left with 2 weeks before I reach that 2-month average. But unlike a project deadline where I can choose to exhaust myself working for extra hours, none of that is applicable here. I can email as many resumes and cover letters to as many companies as I please but that’s just it. The rest is spent on praying and anticipating. It was akin to being stuck inside Big Brother’s house where every move is limited within its confines and all I could rely on is the powerful voice of Big Bro, er, the Supreme Being up there. All the while praying that I won’t get “evicted” so soon and so sudden. I still pondered upon that imminent 2-month “due date” as I stood inside the cramped rush hour bus ride.

We eventually reached Ray’s noticeably quiet neighborhood. I was excited to see what we would call our new home. After passing by three HDB blocks and parking lots, we have reached their flat.

“Come in, come in,” said Nanay, the grandmother of the house, as they ushered us into their living room.

Just the mere smiles on their faces instantly made us feel welcome. Ray then led us to the room that Marie and I would share. It was pretty spacious -- with a single bed that we would later on toss a coin for to decide who’s sleeping on the floor, fairly wide curtained windows, a “dextrosed” aircon and a huge cabinet – seems good. Later on we were shown their dining area, kitchen, and toilet. The main tenant George, coming from work, reached in time to introduce us with the other tenants that include his parents, 2 younger siblings, his wife, and their only child Angelita. They can never get any more close-knit than this. Just the flavorful smell of the simmering Adobo and the deafening sound of the TV made their household more typically Pinoy.

Even though I foresee the unbridled naughtiness in the 6-year old Angelita, there was no hesitation on our part when the moment to decide came. While we could not imagine how they will manage to squeeze themselves in this 3-room flat now that they are left with two, Marie and I were happy that we have found a new home, in the privacy of our own little room.

And after handing over to George the agreed 1-month advance payment, all he could muster was the jolly greeting: “Welcome to Big Brother House!”  





2 comments:

Santi said...

Hi !
Just came to visit !
See ya : )

whynotpat said...

Thanks Santi! :)