07 March 2011

Not an Ordinary Day

It is almost 6:00pm and I am once again entrusting my punctuality to my now heavily earmarked map guide pocketbook. The sun only begins to set by 7:00pm in Singapore and somehow this afternoon’s rays make me more giddy than usual. The thought of the sun stealthily escaping the skies by the back door as the moon sneaks in makes me wonder if this day will end just like any other. By now my heart is doing skip-rope inside my flat chest. After all, I have an interview to catch.

For a moment it feels as though I am rushing for a go-see, portfolio in hand, frantically searching for the correct building along Stamford Road. The glass windows of every shop that I pass by give me a blurry reflection of my deteriorating poise and quickening pace. I always felt that I am fresher and livelier in the mornings which is why this unusual call-time only makes me extra conscious.

Finally I reached the building, entering its main threshold facing the road junction. The dark and unruffled interiors are a stark contrast to the intensely bright and animated city life outside. It is almost bare. The high ceiling that are lit up by the seemingly antediluvian brass lamps breathes a distinct air of enigma that I only get whenever I step inside a colonial house-turned-museum. The wooden cornices and doorways are like the dark chocolate complement to the cream concrete walls. As I try to remember which floor I am supposed to be in, I almost imagined a cigarette-toting Marlene Dietrich walking across the hall in an all-black ensemble, plumes and all, mingling with her entourage of dapper guys dressed like mafia and girls dressed to the nines.

But I got distracted by the escalator in the middle which reminds me that I am in the 21st Century, and that it’s time to hop on to it. The second floor gradually reveals itself as I slowly rise from below, extending my neck left and right like a mother hen in search of her chicks. The overall yellow lighting adds drama to the dim corners that partially cloaks some narrow passageways leading to who knows where. The building’s dark and solid balusters emphasize the old world charm while the echo that every step on its polished wooden flooring creates calls attention to its classical grandeur. I keep reminding myself that I am not here to check out an art gallery or a specialty store that runs the gamut from elaborate picture frames to fancy doilies, although they are both present here. But I am here to undergo an interview and I am looking for the atelier.

“Where oh where is that atelier…” I asked myself in a hush-li’l-baby modulation, trying to shake off any bottled up nervousness.

Even before I finished convincing myself that I correctly pronounced the word atelier, there it stood, gleaming like a vintage Van Cleef & Arpels bling. This is it. Inhale… exhale. Every moment felt surreal from then on. There’s no other way to enter but thru the floor-to-ceiling glass double door that is framed in heavy wood. As I slowly pushed it open, holding its tarnished brass handle with clammy hands, excitement soon overcame the nerves. It’s the same feeling that you get whenever you receive a present where you can’t wait to open it and see what’s inside. The only difference is that this one has its price tag written all over it.

A young and slim lady approached me as she was trying to hang back an obviously glamorous dress onto one of the racks. “Hi, how can I help you?” she plainly asked. I told her that I came for an interview with The Boss. She then asked me to settle in for the meantime while I wait. But the gorgeous ivory gowns are so captivating that my eyes kept wandering from one gown to the next. They line the walls as if they are radiant marching brides in single file. Before I sat down, I gently caressed the wedding gown on one of the mannequins. The delicate fabric looked so pristine, and the beadwork so intricate that I couldn’t help but ask myself: How much could this be? When will I ever get to wear such? As soon as I sat down, a smartly dressed guy, tall, tan and slim, sat down and introduced himself. He is The Designer. But even before we finished the customary personal background shtick, he introduced me to his assistant Jill, the lady who first approached me. Looking like what seems to be an ordinarily busy day, Jill briefly asks The Designer’s approval on the correct shade of fabric to order as she shows him the swatches. I can sense a split-second crucial-decision-making-moment for them as they both look at the limited selection of greens. And while this is happening, I myself am also having my own split-second moment that flashes back the “cerulean” predicament that the iconic Miranda Priestley had which proved to be an embarrassment for poor “Emily”. Fortunately, theirs was blue and ours is green. And luckily I know the difference between emerald and chartreuse. Ha! Plus, I also know when not to chuckle. Not that it matters now.

Jill went off and The Boss arrived in a rhythm that the sun and the moon will eventually mimic. The proper interview commenced with the completion of the triumvirate: The Boss, The Designer, and myself. “How do you find Singapore?” they asked. To which I quipped “Clean!” without batting an eyelash. The questions that followed range from the hackneyed “Describe your previous job” to the more technical “How much is the estimate cost for a similar embroidery?” referring to the blouse that I was wearing. It was a rather fast-paced and straightforward interview that didn’t give me time to think of how to embellish my words or edit my thoughts. The verdict has not yet sunk in even after they dropped hints to my favour. They have a forthcoming fashion show and added help is crucial. Knowing that my papers will take time to process therefore I could not yet officially start work, I volunteered to work as an intern at least for the next two weeks leading to their big event. Talk about hard selling.

Perhaps it is a potent combination of desperation, passion and optimism that always come into play whenever I find myself on the verge of taking some calculated risks. Besides, there’s nothing further to lose once you have already lost a lot, be it time, money or opportunity. 

I think I threw a smile to the guard at the ground floor as I make my way out of the building. Somehow everything looks brighter than they actually are. And although the moon has already chased away the sun as it always does, tonight’s velvet skies tell me that the day is not going to end just like any other. Past the traffic lights, I crossed the street knowing that everything will be green-and-go from here. And that also makes me feel giddier than usual.   


No comments: