16 January 2011

Job Hunt Series, Part 2

Weather Forecast: A cluster of nimbus clouds are heavy; Its bagful of surprises about to fall.

If there’s one thing that I have rediscovered, it is probably the fragile art of being patient. I consider it as an art because there are intimate ways of communicating with, nurturing and interpreting it. You learn to appreciate its technique on your own terms. And when it speaks to you, your heart and mind listen. And yet it is fragile. Fragile because you could lose it in half the time that you spent imbibing it. But if it’s any consolation, it is not a black-and-white thing of whether you have it or you don’t. In fact, I consider it more like water flowing out from a faucet where its intensity can be adjusted. Living away from my comfort zone taught me this. With my resources gradually dwindling, time quickly disappearing and hopes gently fading, life was becoming a litmus test of patience.

But just like any piece of art, its intrinsic beauty can be better appreciated if you take a few steps back and look at the bigger picture. I remember the first time that I saw Juan Luna’s historic masterpiece “Spoliarium” at the National Museum in Manila. As part of our field trip in elementary school, my classmates and I were instructed to queue up as we silently pass by this ginormous oil painting. I couldn’t understand it then. Standing merely 5 feet away, all I know was that it’s an important piece of art that was painted in dark hues and whose 4m x 7m size dwarfed all of us. Sixteen years later, I went back, this time on my own. With no restrictions to queue up or hurry the pace, I was able to see it in a different light, staring at the painting’s full glory. And while we have learned about its history back in the university, it was only right then, standing halfway across the immense hall, that I was able to appreciate and understand its beauty and impact.

                                                              The Spoliarium (from pinoytumblr.com)

Unlike a painting though, life presents circumstances where it is difficult to tell whether you are already looking at the bigger picture or not. And so as I was pondering on the level of patience that I should be working on, I realized that I have a few job interviews lined up. The big picture in my mind features more than just my pathetic state of joblessness. More importantly, it emphasizes the fact that being overseas in itself is an opportunity that not everyone has access to. I must not give up.

I prepped myself for the interviews and thought of nothing but positive would-be scenarios. I was hoping for an actual interview this time, unlike my first time at Bukit Batok. This time it was within Jurong East, a bit far from Tiong Bahru but distance shouldn’t be an issue. After an MRT and a bus ride, I reached this industrial park. “Not again,” I thought. But this one was not as isolated. In fact it is surrounded by residential HDBs. Within the compound, there were a lot of men busy packing and loading up boxes onto a huge lorry. There were forklifts and boxes everywhere. The screeching sound of the packing tape in action pierced through the air like a cat’s claw scratching a blackboard. I approached one of the friendlier-looking men and asked for the entrance to the office building. It was sunny and everything seemed to be turning out fine.

Exploring new areas is always fascinating to me. It gives that jittery feeling of anxiousness, excitement and curiosity. I reached the second floor together with a guy who seemed to be looking for someone, his walk more frantic and determined than mine. His yellow-and-red collared tee screams DHL. The labyrinthine corridors are narrow that it could only fit about two and a half persons on its width. Some areas lead to a wider hall while some lead to locked doors. Now this may sound like something right out of a sitcom show, but the speedy DHL guy who was just a few feet ahead of me actually bumped into a clear glass partition. I wished I could save him the embarrassment by pretending that I didn’t see him. He looked at me right after the bump and just proceeded as usual. That guy was really in the zone. On the other hand, thanks to that painful warning, it could have been me.

Eventually, I reached the office door. It was locked and I had to speak thru the device on the door. A middle-aged lady, dark and with Indian features, pleasantly opened the door. In less than a minute another lady approached me. She was wearing this black blazer and pencil cut skirt that fitted nicely on her slender figure. She was kinda tall, clearly a Chinese Singaporean, with shiny black hair and nice fringe framing her face. By her stance alone you can tell her position in the company. She took me to another area outside of their office where there was some sort of a common lounge area. I quickly sat down on one of the plush sofas and arranged my bag while she answers a call on her mobile phone.

After the usual round of basic questions, she asked me:

“Why didn’t you apply at *** company instead? Why choose us? They are more established.”


That sounds simple but it almost took the wits out of me. It was my turn to talk.

“Actually I am a case of a hopeless foreign talent who has just applied for a visa extension, desperate to fulfill my dreams in this sunny island of yours. I don’t have any idea of your company, heck I just came across your info on the Internet. I even don’t know that *** exists either. But with that amazing shade of lipstick of yours I am hoping that you’d say yes and together we will work hard to achieve our goals of high sell-thru, brand growth, greater market share and…. World peace. Thank you.”


That was what I was thinking during the 5-second pause. I didn’t utter them. After a few batting of mascara-less eyelashes, I replied:

“Yes, *** may be more established than your company, but your brand being a new player in the industry allows for more opportunities for growth which I would like to be a part of. Besides, unlike ***, your company focuses on the use of organic fabrics which most people are beginning to notice now, and it is also socially relevant.”


It may not be as polished as I recalled but it was something to that effect. I didn’t know which sounded better, the one that I said or the one that I didn’t. (Trivia: That day, I googled *** company that she mentioned and I applied as well. Har-har!)
     
I easily felt comfortable with her. She is not the Wilhelmina Slater type that I thought she was. And as the interview went on I could sense that she was also getting comfy. Too comfy that after about 30 minutes we transferred to her main office room and continued our chat. It was already lunchtime. The other lady who opened the door for me asked the boss whether she would like to go out for lunch. She declined and instead chose to proceed with our tête-à-tête, during which she even mentioned of her colleague John who helps her with the designs. She said that they became so close that they even share personal relationship stories with each other.

After touring me inside her office and discussing more technical stuff, she asked me to meet up with John later in the week for another interview. She then gave me John’s calling card name card before we ended our session with the usual pleasantries. Just like everybody else, I would hope and pray that I will get hired after every job interview. Gut-feel plays a big role, and with hints here and there I would say I have a good chance.

The day came when John and I would meet. He asked me to meet him at a coffee shop near his other office which is located at Tanjong Pagar. The last time that I had been interviewed outside of the company premises I got the job. So judging from that experience I was hopeful that it was a good sign.

I entered the coffee shop with resume, laptop and confidence in tow. I ordered a frappe, texted John that I have already arrived, and chose to sit on the red couch. I envisioned a tall, broad-shouldered man in a suit with a huge, uhm, ego. Instead, a cheerful, innocent-looking guy in t-shirt and jeans with a huge, uhm, smile walked towards my direction. The interview was very quick and casual. I actually felt that I have lost my composure when I realized that I have slapped him on the shoulders endearingly a few times. Oops! There were more laughter than nerves. We were still talking about work by the way. It felt more like a getting-to-know-your-soon-to-be-officemate kind of thing. At least I hoped so.

When I went home I remember telling my housemate Joey about this, to which he laughed. I know that was a ridiculous thing to do. I guess when you get carried away, you tend to forget about all your inhibitions… I’m still referring to the interview.

I had another interview the day after. And another one after that. I was on a roll. Just as waiting for a job interview was a test of patience, so was waiting for results. “Look at the big picture” became my mantra of the moment. The succeeding events that would happen only made me scream this mantra even louder.  


(To be continued)




 Names are changed to protect their privacy.


6 comments:

Fickle Cattle said...

I hope your patience pays off. :-)

P.S. It's always nice to see another Filipino blogger. I felt I needed to comment.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

whynotpat said...

Thanks Fickle Cattle. :)
Ditto. Filipino bloggers always have interesting stories to share. I'll see you in your blog.

kiko said...

Hi there, can i borrow your image? Spoliarium, i will just use it on my post… thanks in advance, i'll redirect your blog on my posts

Mga Kathang Isip ni Kiko

Salamat Ulit!

whynotpat said...

Hi Kiko. Thanks for visiting my blog. Sure, please feel free to use the image.

Francis Morilao said...

Thanks so much… Can i invite you to contribute on The KaBlogs Journal? this April issue… please do so and meet fellow bloggers around the world… Our topic for April is Life Realization…

Thanks in advance.

Kiko

whynotpat said...

Thanks for the invite, sounds exciting! Sure, count me in. I'll drop u an email soon.