23 January 2011

Swipe, Tap, Press and Go!

I guess that the more progressive a country gets, the slimmer the people’s wallets become. Not that I have been casually observing the buttocks of every Cruise, Pitt or Depp that I see on the streets. (Okay, maybe sometimes, but only to check on the quality of the pants’ tailoring. I promise!) Society and economy dictates that all your wallet needs is your credit card.

Forget about the gazillion membership cards that you tend to acquire whether consciously or unconsciously. Or the old ID’s that only remind you of how horrible those 2x2 photos look, constantly putting the blame on “bad lighting”. Or the “important” receipts that accumulate almost on its own. (Am I describing just my own wallet here?) The only thing that matters that grants access to your dream purchase-of-the-moment relies on that one (or a few) mighty plastic. In a world where every item that you buy wrings you off of your hard-earned moolah, this is all you need. And maybe that one evidence-of-undying-love photo of you and your loved one is an exception.

But if survival from the daily commute is at stake, another card should not be left out: the EZ Link card.


It is convenience right at your fingertips. Just top-up at the automated machines in every MRT stations and you are good to go. It can be used for both MRT and bus rides. Actually, there are credit cards that have already incorporated this functionality. But for individuals like me who prefer using debit card or cash over credit cards, the EZ Link card on its own is just as efficient.

I was pondering on this whole premise of convenient living as I sat at the upper part of a double decker bus. Another first for me. I have always wanted to ride on one of London’s scarlet red double decker buses. And I have always envisioned that scene where the minute I take that first step inside the bus, chimes would harmoniously ring as if my wish has just been granted by a fairy godmother. But since London is thousands of miles away, this orange/purple/white SBS Bus, neatly wrapped in ads, would suffice.

                                                                       View from the double-decker SBS bus

Cool! I’ll just take in all the sights that my bewildered eyes could handle. Whenever I find myself sitting inside a vehicle, there’s a constant reminder at the back of my mind telling me to keep my eyes open. After all, we can only make the most of our eyesight. Because when the time comes that we die, we can spend the rest of our time sleeping. But that’s just my morbid thought speaking.

I never got the chance to ride Manila’s double decker buses back when they were still in existence. I was too young then. By the time that I took my first bus ride on a regular bus, no chimes rang. Horns did. The traffic and pollution then were not as bad, but the passengers’ buzzers were all already out of order. They were nothing but mere accents to an already aging vehicle.

I continued by sightseeing. Singapore’s lush greens: perfect. Well-paved roads: nice. Stoplights that work – where green means go and red really means stop: finally! The calm 40 kph travel was only interrupted by the necessary brakes at designated areas. Just press the button before you reach the desired stop and the ding-dong goes. The driver will then be alerted. By the time you reach your bus stop, the doors will automatically open for you. And if you are polite enough, you should observe the door rules: enter by the door nearest the driver, and exit by the door on the bus’ midsection. I try not to forget to tap my EZ Link card whenever I enter/exit the bus because the penalty can be costly. But then again, what isn’t?      

As soon as I alighted from the bus, I walked towards the stoplight to cross the road where I pressed the button for the green man. After a few minutes, it went flashing. I found myself catwalking again. But this time in a cadence that rhymes with the loud timbre coming from the stoplight’s timer. It was 20 seconds or so of a resonating rhythm that sounds more like a laser-spewing outer space pistol.

It is this kind of pampered modern city that anyone can easily get used to. But reality remains. Not everything in life is as easy as swipe, tap, press and go!   





No comments: